A question for the ladies in the audience… suppose you were asked if you would like to live in a country in which you could be bought, sold, traded and owned, where you would be required to be submissive to the wishes of any man, where the word “woman” was itself an insult, and where guilt in a rape case was based on whether or not the woman who was raped yelled loud enough. Would you like to live in a country like that? If not, then you should be equally horrified with the thought of being a Christian. The imaginary country described in this introduction is the world that the Bible wants women to live in everywhere. And don’t think that Jesus wasn’t aware of and in support of these rules – see what He had to say Himself.
Do Christians view women as slaves to be bought, sold, traded and owned?
- And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldst have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. – Deuteronomy 21:11-13
- If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel’s father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days. – Deuteronomy 22:28-29
- So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley. – Hosea 3:2
- See also: Genesis 19:8, 29:24, 29 / Exodus 20:17, 21:7, 8 / Deuteronomy 5:21, 25:5 / Judges 1:12-13, 5:30, 14:1-3, 15:2, 19:22-30, 21:7, 10-12, 14, 20-21, 23 / Ruth 4:10 / 1 Samuel 25:44 / 2 Samuel 12:11, 13:1-22, 20:3 / Esther 1:7-22, 2:2-4 / Jeremiah 6:12, 8:10
Do Christians believe women must be submissive to men?
- Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. - 1 Corinthians 14:34-35
- Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. – Ephesians 5:22-24
- In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety. – 1 Timothy 2:9-15
- But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. – 1 Corinthians 11:3
- But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoreth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, for asmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. - 1 Corinthians 11:5-10
- Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. – Colossians 3:18
- Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement. Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. – 1 Peter 3:1-7
- See also: Numbers 30:3-16 / Deuteronomy 22:5
Do Christians consider it an insult to be called a woman?
- See: Isaiah 19:16 / Jeremiah 50:37 / Nahum 3:13
Do Christians say if a woman doesn’t yell enough when being raped she should be killed?
- If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbor’s wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you. – Deuteronomy 22:23-24
Does Jesus Support the Laws of the Old Testament?
- Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or tittle shall nowise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. – Mark 5:18-19
- It is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail. - Luke 16:17
(from OVO 16 ANTICHRIST January 2006)