Driven by thirst, I eyed a fine icicle outside the window, within hand’s reach. I opened the window and broke off the icicle but at once a large, heavy guard prowling outside brutally snatched it away from me. “Warum?” [Why?] I asked him in my poor German. “Hier ist kein warum” [Here there is no ‘why’], he replied, pushing me inside with a shove.
– Primo Levi, Survival in Auschwitz: the Nazi Assault on Humanity
There is no ‘why’ to 9/11. I talk about it, study it, organize information, chase down conspiracies real and false, consult those I disagree with to see if I’ve missed anything, and there is no gesture that makes this senseless act sensible, this victory of stupid into a rational experience. There are times when being an intellectual, looking for reason and preferring answers with a why, is no benefit to getting along in the world. And there is no ‘why’ to the administration of President George W. Bush. If only class war existed, if only historical materialism existed, then the heavy hands of the tyrants would be on the same puppet strings as my own hands and it would all make sense, it would all be rational. But the closest I’ve found to a ‘why’ in this world is ‘because I said so’ being said by someone with the physical force to see it happen. Sometimes we get a Cincinnatus or a Jefferson, sometimes we get a Caligula or a Bush. Usually we get a Lincoln, neatly declining to be one or the other. History unfolds without destiny, following no law, often changing but without pattern, and the best we can hope for is a tyranny of relative peace.
Is there anything to be gained by marking this day, repeating what I and others have already said? Probably not for the world, but it offers me some relative peace. Here is my public memorial to 9/11 for the year 2010. Where there is a date in the front of the entry the entry is an eternal link. Where there is a date in parenthesis the entry is from OVO.
- 2000: George W. Bush, having won a minority of votes, votes with profound irregularities, votes ‘corrected’ by the Supreme Court, is declared President of the United States.
- 22 May 2001: President George W. Bush gives the Taliban $43 million.
- 11 September 2001: Al-Qaida, led by Osama bin Laden and funded by Saudi Arabia, attacks the United States. President George W. Bush initiates an emergency reading of My Pet Goat while Saudi royals and members of the bin Laden family flee the US in a secret airlift authorized by the White House.
- 14 October 2001: President George W. Bush is offered Osama bin Laden by the Taliban he’d given $43 million to months earlier. He turns down the offer.
- March 2001: When asked about the urgency of the search for Osama bin Laden, President George W. Bush replies: “I don’t know where he is, nor do I – I just don’t spend that much time on it. I’m truly not that concerned.”
- 16 December 2001: Osama bin Laden, in visual range of US forces, is allowed to escape the Battle of Tora Bora.
- 11 January 2002: The first twelve men of many more men are disappeared by the administration of President George W. Bush into Guantanamo Bay. They are held indefinitely without charge or trial, subjected to torture and left to die.
- 20 March 2003: Having been attacked by forces with backing from Saudi Arabia, President George W. Bush initiates a war against… Iraq. Definitely no attack on his friends, the House of Saud.
- 1 May 2003: President George W. Bush tells the nation the status of the Iraq war: Mission Accomplished.
- 2004: President George W. Bush, with the aid of faulty voting machines, again is declared President of the United States.
- 7 October 2005: “George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a senior Palestinian politician in an interview to be broadcast by the BBC later this month.”
- History Commons: Complete 9/11 Timeline (06 November 2005)
- NASA: World Trade Center Zoom (11 November 2005)
- George Bush: 9/11 Speech (11 November 2005)
- Zombietime: World Trade Center, September 13, 2001 (31 July 2006)
- George Galloway vs. U.S Senate 17 May 2005 (06 August 2006)
- 26 October 2006: Former Bush administration Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld flees France to avoid being served papers branding him a war criminal.
- English Russia: Russian Pilot Making Photos 9/11 Flying Above NYC (06 December 2006)
- 18 December 2006: Vance v Rumsfeld alleges former Bush administration Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld ordered the torture of Donald Vance.
- Sibel Edmonds: Official Web Site (15 March 2007)
- Reuters: French knew in 2001 al Qaeda was planning hijack (19 April 2007)
- Yahoo! News: France told US before September 11 of Al-Qaeda plans (19 April 2007)
- FBI: Bin Laden may have arranged family’s US exit (21 June 2007)
- Robert Scheer: Bush’s Faustian Deal With the Taliban 22 May 2001 (28 August 2007)
- Trevor Blake: On September 11 (12 September 2007)
- Times Online: Young Muslims begin dangerous fight for the right to abandon faith (12 September 2007)
- Western Resistance: Islamism, Six Years After The Wake-Up Call [archive] (12 September 2007)
- Jihad Watch: The date which will live in infamy (12 September 2007)
- FOXNews: Six Years Later: Bin Laden Still Free, U.S. Mired in Iraq (14 September 2007)
- 9-11 Review: A Resource for Understanding the 9/11/01 Attack (14 September 2007)
- The Young Turks: Verbatim Quotes from Republicans when Clinton was Prez (23 September 2007)
- Agence France Presse: Bush certifies Saudi Arabia as ‘war on terror’ ally. (21 October 2007)
- Truthout: Bush Covered Up Saudi Involvement in 9/11. (09 December 2007)
- Gerald Posner: The CIA’s Destroyed Interrogation Tapes and the Saudi-Pakistani 9/11 Connection. (09 December 2007)
- Trevor Blake: Two Ways of Funding the Taliban. (14 April 2008)
- 25 July 2008: Thirty-five articles of impeachment against President George W. Bush die in committee.
- Dhimmi Watch: U.S. court exonerates Saudis from lawsuit filed by relatives of 9/11 victims. (15 August 2008)
- Astronaut Frank Culbertson photographs ground zero on 9/11 while in the International Space Station. (15 September 2008)
- Asia Times Online: Osama bin Laden and other al-Qaeda leaders were able to skip Afghanistan for Pakistan unimpeded in the first weeks after September 11, 2001, as the George W Bush administration failed to plan to block their retreat. (01 October 2008)
- New Scientist: The 10 most unusual objects to have flown in space (29 December 2008)
- Project 2,996: An Online Tribute the to 2,996 Victims of 9/11 (26 January 2009)
- Intense, Prolonged Exposure To World Trade Center Attack Linked To New Health Problems Years Later (06 August 2009)
- Trevor Blake: 9/11 (11 September 2009)
- Barbarossa: Obama says Islam has changed the face of America… (12 September 2009)
- Sibel Edmonds and Philip Giraldi: Who’s Afraid of Sibel Edmonds? (23 September 2009)
- 2 June 2010: Former President George W. Bush admits to committing a war crime.
- Trevor Blake: Trajectory Through Anarchism (05 June 2010)
- … more 9/11.
- … more Islam.
- … more Bush.
Which brings us up to today. While 9/11 first responders among the New York City Fire Department and New York City Police Department read books to children, children in Muslim countries are poisoned for wanting to learn to read. While the United States leads the world in donations to flood victims in the Islamic nation of Pakistan, not a single Islamic nation appears on the list of donors. While “Allahu Akbar, God is Great” is now carved into a medieval cathedral in Lyon, it is next to impossible to build or repair any cathedral in most Muslim nations. While the streets of Paris are blocked by Muslims praying to Mecca, “apostates” are put to death in Muslim countries. While the President of the United States asks a small church to refrain from burning a small number of Qurans on a specific day, Muslim nations burn Bibles every day as a matter of law. The nation afraid to speak plainly of tyrants will get the tyrants it deserves. As monstrous as the Bush administration and its bootlickers are, they are amateurs – amateurs – compared to the writhing pest hole that is Islam.
I vow eternal contempt for those who kill to serve an invisible monster that lives in the sky, be it god or allah.